Saturday, August 15, 2020

I: The Red and the Green (1965)

26 chapters incl epilog
words: 109,078

characters: 617,003

[wikipedia] [goodreads] [dexter] [editions/covers]

"I'm glad you like The Red and the Green - no one has cared much about it, generally least successful - people don't want to hear about Ireland. " -Letter to Roly Cochrane, 14 January 1986


Conradi says IM regretted romanticising violence here


Constance Markievicz (1868-1927) ?= Millie
1902 Panhard



πŸ‡ Second-Lieutenant Andrew Chase-White, 21yo, stationed at Longford

πŸ‘°Frances Bellman, his fiancee

πŸ’°Christopher Bellman, her father

Heather Kinnard Bellman, her mother, died young

Finglas, the Bellmans' villa in Sandycove ave

Hilda Drumm Chase-White, his mother, moving to Claresville in Dalkey

Henry Chase-White, his late father 

Janet Selborne-Doyle Dumay Chase-White, his grandmother

🀑Barnabas 'Barney' Drumm, his uncle, Catholic convert, drinker πŸ”«πŸŽ― parody of Donald MacKinnon?


πŸ‘’
Millie Dumay, his adventurous aunt, lives in Upper Mount street and Rathblane

Brian Dumay, his outdoorsy uncle, Catholic convert, died c1910

πŸ‘΅Kathleen Kinnard, Brian's wife, Heather's sister, remarried Barney

πŸ‘ŠPat Dumay, their son, 22yo 'the iron man' studying law

πŸ‘¦Cathal Dumay, their son 13yo?

Sir Arthur Kinnard, Kathleen's and Heather's brother, married Millie, died young

(siblings Arthur/Kathleen married siblings Millie/Brian)


Dumays live in IM's old house on Blessington Street

source


We Be Soldiers Three

poem:Green above the Red

tune: Whiskey in the Jar [eg]


I01: 🐎

Sandycove Martello tower: occupied parttime in 1916 by Oliver Gogarty, not yet but soon to be made famous by 'Ulysses'


I02: 

statue: George Ogle


I03:
I04:
I05:
I06:
I07:
I08:
I09:
I10:
I11:
I12:
I13:
I14:
I15:
I16:
I17:
I18:
I19:
I20:
I21:
I22:
I23:
I24:
I25:
Ie epilog:





Harold Gilman (1876-1919)
Portrait of Mrs Whelan





'Portrait of Lady Lavery as Kathleen Ni Houlihan' by John Lavery


No comments:

Post a Comment

Biographies and other studies of Iris Murdoch

 Iris Murdoch: A Life (2001) [ archive ] Conradi, Peter J. Iris: The Life of Iris Murdoch (Norton Paperback) (2002) [ archive ] Conradi, Pet...